Information About You & How We Use It
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new piece of legislation that will supersede the Data Protection Act. It will not only apply to the UK and EU; it covers anywhere in the world in which data about EU citizens is processed. The GDPR is a new law that determines how your personal data is processed and kept safe, and the legal rights that you have in relation to your own data. The regulation applies from the 25 May 2018 and will apply even after the UK leaves the EU.
What GDPR will mean for Patients :-
- Data must be processed lawfully, fairly and transparently
- It must be collected for specific, explicit and legitimate purposes
- It must be limited to what is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed
- Information must be accurate and kept up to date
- Data must be held securely
- It can only be retained for as long as is necessary for the reasons it was collected
There are also stronger rights for patients regarding the information that Practices hold about them. These include
- Being informed about how their data is used
- Patients to have access to their own data
- Patients can ask to have incorrect information changed
- Restrict how their data is used
- Move their patient data from one health organisation to another
- The right to object to their patient information being processed (in certain circumstances)
Access to Medical Records
The appropriate application form must be completed prior to any online access being enabled together with the appropriate photographic ID. Acceptable documents include assorts, photo driving licences. On receipt of an application, the patient’s record will be reviewed and therefore requests may take up to 14 days to process.
In line with the GDPR, patients can submit a request for their medical record under a Subject Access Request (SAR). Please see the attached policy. Any patient requesting a SAR must complete the following Application Form.
Subject Access Request Form
Practice Privacy Notice
To view our Practice Privacy Notice please see the attached link: Practice Privacy Notice